NBA approves Hornets name returning to Charlotte

LAS VEGAS—Charlotte is the home of the Hornets once again.

The NBA unanimously approved Charlotte’s nickname change from Bobcats to Hornets on Thursday at the league’s Board of Governors meeting. The original Hornets built a supportive fan base in Charlotte from the time they entered the league in 1988 until they moved to New Orleans in 2002.

But the new owners in New Orleans have changed the team’s name to the Pelicans. That opened the door for owner Michael Jordan to bring the Hornets name back to Charlotte. The change will take place after the 2013-14 season.

“We’re thrilled to bring back the Hornets to Charlotte and the Carolinas,” Jordan said in a statement issued by the team. “The passion and enthusiasm around this name change by fans in this market has been unmatched. They overwhelmingly told us what they wanted, we listened and we couldn’t be happier with the Board of Governors’ approval of the name change. With the young team we are developing on the court, the direction of our business and the return of the Hornets name, we are extremely excited about our future. The buzz is back!”

The city, and the franchise, has been looking for a fresh start. The Hornets were a ticket-selling powerhouse for years, leading the league in attendance eight times and selling out 364 straight games in their turquoise, white and purple uniforms. The city bonded with a charismatic team that included such as stars Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson and fan favorite Muggsy Bogues.

But the franchise fell on hard times under previous owner George Shinn, who took to the team, and the Hornets name, to New Orleans. The NBA brought an expansion team back to Charlotte two years later, a team nicknamed the Bobcats in part due to founding owner Bob Johnson’s name.

The brand never resonated with the people the way the Hornets did, in large part because the team only has had one winning season and one playoff appearance in its first nine years of existence. The Bobcats, with their nondescript orange and grey color scheme, won just seven games two years ago and only 21 last season. So they are hoping the energy brought by the name change, even if it will take another year to set in, will somehow help galvanize a young team.

“We want to reach back and grab some of that equity that the Hornets earned in our community,” Charlotte COO Fred Whitfield said. “They did a lot of great things off the court. They were involved in the community. They became very accessible to the Charlotte fans and citizens of Charlotte. We want to reach back and grab some heritage and use it as we move forward to build a brand with our young team that continues to improve.”

The Bobcats’ website hailed the return of “Buzz City” and team officials said 2,000 season-ticket holders turned out at a downtown party that turned into a celebration of the name change. Bogues and other former Hornets including Rex Chapman, Kelly Tripucka, Dell Curry and Kendall Gill attended as well.

Commissioner David Stern said that he had heard pleas from Charlotte basketball fans for years to give them back the Hornets nickname, and he initially brushed those aside with a “get over it” view of the complaining. In time, however, he came to

Shareholders Still Supports F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone

Majority shareholder of the Formula One Group, CVC, choose to “watch and wait” bribery-related cases being attacked President and CEO of F1, Bernie Ecclestone.

Previously, German prosecutors indict Ecclestone bribery. The charges relate to the payment of 44 million U.S. dollars to a German banker, Gerhard Gribkowsky, from Bayern Landesbank (BayernLB) related to the sale of shares of Formula 1. Ecclestone party has six weeks to respond, since the indictment was launched last week.

Last week also, CVC issued a formal statement will monitor this case. This week, the source of the CVC told the Daily Telegraph that they support the 82-year-old British entrepreneur is.

Suppose after going through the legal process he is proven guilty, Ecclestone leadership must be willing to remove the seat. The next question is, who is the best candidate to fill the position place?

Sources Daily Telegraph stated that Ecclestone replacement will likely come from outsiders. Formula 1 currently has 313 staff and 10 senior managerial positions. None of them are worthy to replace Ecclestone.

“This business is too small to have a replacement candidate from within. Successor will almost certainly come from outside,” said the source.

Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner is one of the so-called replacement candidate Ecclestone. However, most of the names come from the world outside of F1, including Sainsbury’s CEO Justin King and former M & S boss Sir Stuart Rose.

“I do not know if companies such as Sainsbury’s boss could do my job. Maybe he could,” Ecclestone told the Guardian newspaper last April, when the King entered the name as a candidate.

However, it seems that the shareholders are not in a hurry to find a replacement candidate.

“The reality is that Bernie is running a business and he is much better understand what was going on than us,” continued the source of the CVC. “We clearly have an important role for our shareholders, but we do not run this business, day after day, in detail.”

PSG Soon Attract Marquinhos

Tajir origin Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain, a leading club in the hunt for the signature AS Roma defender, Marquinhos. Reportedly, a step PSG get 19-year-old defender is.
Previously, there are at least three clubs who want to get the Brazilian. Barcelona, Real Madrid and PSG are both reportedly intends to land the former Corinthians player.
The third club was even touted has sent a formal offer to Marquinhos. However, PSG seems to excel at hunting efforts signature Brazilian defender.
“We all stayed up late to be able to reach an agreement. But, we finally made it. This success is a good news for all people, “said the brother Marquinhos, Luan Aoas, as quoted by Football Italia on Friday (19/7).
The news circulating mention, PSG have agreed to pay a transfer fee of 30 million pounds (USD 465 billion) to AS Roma. The plan, the two clubs will announce the move this weekend Marquinhos.
The player’s full name Marcos Correa Aoas it does look impressive at the back AS Roma in Serie A last season. Bertandem with former teammate in Corinthians, Leandro Gastan, Marquinhos managed to displace Nicolas Burdisso in the heart of the defense I Lupi.
Marquinhos achievement was more special, because Serie A last season is Marquinhos debut season in Italy, and even Europe. Marquinhos imported from Corinthians in July 2012.

Will Kobe Bryant look out for Lakers?

This week, with the release of the official salary cap numbers and onset of formal contract signings, was supposed to bring clarity to the NBA. Instead it left us debating the kind of obligations not covered by the collective bargaining agreement, a hazy realm of morals and values.

You could gather as many lawyers and accountants as you want and you still couldn’t come up with a definitive answer to the question: What do the Lakers owe Kobe Bryant? Conversely, how much does he owe them?

These are the central questions governing the Lakers as they make their key decisions for the next few years. Should they go all-out for another championship in Kobe’s shrinking window among the league’s elite, or should they embark on a long-term strategy to win down the road? Should Kobe forsake the fair compensation coming his way in order to facilitate the Lakers’ moves?

The Lakers have paid Bryant a quarter of a billion dollars during his NBA career. They’ve put him in position to win five championships. In return he has played through every circumstance short of being strapped to a hospital gurney, and has scored more points than all but three players in the history of the league.

So far it appears the Lakers are operating under the premise that they’re beholden to Bryant, the guy they’ve been tied to since 1996. It’s not the way things usually work in Los Angeles, where spouses and leased cars are often returned at a similar rate. The Lakers used their one-time amnesty provision on Metta World Peace‘s $7.7 million salary, even though taking Bryant’s $30 million off the books would have had a more dramatic financial impact and still provided an opportunity for him to return in 2014-15.

A promise to cut Kobe loose (along with axing Mike D’Antoni) also would have been a much more meaningful sign to Dwight Howard than those “Stay” billboards that the Lakers were committed to the center.

Dramatic moves? Surely. But if you think about it, they would have been no different from what the Lakers did in 2004 when they were desperate to retain Kobe. They let Phil Jackson go and traded Shaquille O’Neal to Miami. When it came to choosing between Kobe and Shaq, the Lakers went with the 25-year-old over the 32-year-old. They also went with the more popular of the two. Lakers fans were infatuated with Kobe, and growing increasingly frustrated with Shaq.

Kobe won the crowd. And if there were any doubts that he still holds exalted status, he quelled those when he made his way out to the Lakers bench on crutches, shortly after Howard was ejected from the Lakers’ final playoff game. The crowd responded with its loudest cheer of the day.

It’s why the Lakers are riding with Bryant, who turns 35 next month and is coming off a major injury, over the 27-year-old Howard, who sent neither the franchise nor its fan base into mourning when he decided to leave for Houston. It’s also because Howard built no equity with the Lakers. He didn’t win a single playoff game.

Accomplishments don’t always mean obligations. Paul Pierce played 1,102 games for theBoston Celtics, helped them hang their 17th championship banner, scored more points in the green and white jersey than anyone other than John Havlicek — and yet those things didn’t allow

D.J. Augustin signs contract with Toronto Raptors